Maybe better questions for me: “What ISN’T in your vintage bag?” or “What vintage bag are you carrying today?” I have at least three in heavy rotation. Today’s favorite: A pearly gray number with a suede band along the top edge and a lovely silver clasp.
No matter what bag I’m carrying, you’ll find the following inside:
- (From back right corner) wallet
- Tide to-go pen, because I spill something on myself at least once a week
- powder: here some Clinique in a miniature compact
- nail clippers
- vintage vanity case or compact, switched out to suit my moods. Currently carrying a navy vanity case with a viking ship on it to remind me to conquer at work.
- fortune from my favorite Chinese restaurant: “We all live under the same sky, but we don’t see the same light.” Different bags carry different fortunes.
- pen. Usually pens. When I get up to five, it’s time to clean out the bag.
- vintage mother-of-pearl cigarette case full of business cards for both the Powder Keg and my day job
- iPod, nicknamed la petite noisette
- some form of lip balm
- lipsticks: Here, MAC Ruby Woo and Viva Glam I plus Revlon In the Red.
- lip liner
- gum (Orbit spearmint)
- crazy awesome toothpick-y dental-floss-ish things my mother-in-law gave me
- phone. Not pictured because that’s how I’m taking the photo.
I tend to stuff receipts, old grocery lists, and other random debris into my bag, so every few weeks I go through and purge, swap out lipsticks, compacts and pens, or switch bags altogether. I go back and forth with bags, swapping from vintage pieces in neutrals like gray, black and navy to modern purses in bright red or a leopard print.
So: what’s in your vintage bag?